from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A large room, such as a drawing room, used for receiving and entertaining guests.
- n. A periodic gathering of people of social or intellectual distinction.
- n. A hall or gallery for the exhibition of works of art.
- n. A commercial establishment offering a product or service related to fashion: a beauty salon.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a large room, especially one used to receive and entertain guests
- n. a gathering of people for a social or intellectual meeting
- n. an art gallery
- n. a beauty salon or similar establishment
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An apartment for the reception of company; hence, in the plural, fashionable parties; circles of fashionable society.
- n. An apartment for the reception and exhibition of works of art; hence, an annual exhibition of paintings, sculptures, etc., held in Paris by the Society of French Artists; -- sometimes called the Old Salon. New Salon is a popular name for an annual exhibition of paintings, sculptures, etc., held in Paris at the Champs de Mars, by the Société Nationale des Beaux-Arts (National Society of Fine Arts), a body of artists who, in 1890, seceded from the Société des Artistes Français (Society of French Artists).
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An apartment for the reception of company; a saloon; hence, a fashionable gathering or assemblage.
- n. Specifically, a periodical social gathering of men and women representative of the wit, fashion, literature, art, or politics of the time. The salon flourished principally in France during the eighteenth century.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a shop where hairdressers and beauticians work
- n. elegant sitting room where guests are received
- n. gallery where works of art can be displayed
Mr. Moulton is located in the salon; Mademoiselle has taken the _salon jaune_, and I the boudoir.
He was having what he called a salon, with a group of people talking about things I had never heard adults discuss: the president, a movie they had seen, a song by someone famous named Sting.
Working for the salon is a dream come true for Liaqat, whose mischievous smile is still intact and frequently on display.
From the upscale urban spa ambiance to the talented staff of sexy women from around the world, the salon is a place to relax, have some fun, and come out looking like a million bucks.
And as was evident at the grand opening, the salon is the perfect environment for a party.
Operating a salon is a stressful, dog-eat-dog business, in some ways more terrifying than running a resto.
When the salon is arranged for the evening, shields are hung over the backs of the open canework chairs to prevent the mosquitoes stinging between the shoulders, where it is so difficult to relieve the tickling by rubbing.
Paying a 10% tax at the tanning salon is just like having the Klan camp out on your yard.
Her grooming salon is called "Chez Emile Firecracker" and, after the explosive blow drying, her beautician was a little heavy-handed with the self-tanning cream?
On the wall of Fowler's salon is a Reid campaign poster - but the photo shows the senator with his back to the camera, embracing a beaming Obama.