from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A telegraphic instrument that receives news reports and prints them on paper tape.
- n. Any of various devices that receive and display similar information, such as stock market quotations, electronically.
- n. Slang A watch.
- n. Slang The heart.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A measuring or reporting device, particularly one which makes a ticking sound as the measured events occur.
- n. A stock ticker.
- n. A news ticker.
- n. The heart.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, ticks, or produces a ticking sound, as a watch or clock, a telegraphic sounder, etc.
- n. A telegraphic receiving instrument that automatically prints off stock quotations (stock ticker), market report, or other news on a paper ribbon or “tape.”
- n. an electronic instrument receiving information by transmision from a remote source and displaying it in readable fashion, not necessarily on paper tape (e.g. on a video display terminal or moving ribbon of electronically controlled lights).
- n. The heart.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Something which ticks, or makes a slight repeated sound.
- n. A telegraphic instrument, especially a stock indicator (which see, under indicator).
- n. A cribbing horse.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a small portable timepiece
- n. a character printer that automatically prints stock quotations on ticker tape
- n. the hollow muscular organ located behind the sternum and between the lungs; its rhythmic contractions move the blood through the body
Sorry, no etymologies found.
CNN please tell that Gary Davis from Oregon that this ticker is about New York and not Obama.
This ticker is the kind of forum Bill is talking about.
Every other article on the ticker is your favorite punching bag.
CNN, why don't you rename the "ticker" the "Palin ticker", since that's basically what you keep reporting.
The ADR ticker is SI. The domestic economy is improving in Germany.
The ticker is a good thing though because if you are like me and you are trying to drive traffic to your page, the ticker can let you know how your doing.
Obama care falls apart and he has to issue a public mia culpa for his ignorant comment about the Cambridge police, and CNN leads with the no one likes Palin ticker all day long?
Watching the foaming-at-the-mouth liberals spewing on this ticker is going to be fun!
Time spent on publishing this ticker, is time wasted that could have been filled with more substantial and important issues.
So we have no comments on this, but 270+ on a Palin ticker story.