from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. In or to a place beneath; below.
- adv. On the lower face or underside.
- prep. Under; below; beneath.
- prep. Under the power or control of.
- adj. Lower; under.
- n. The part or side below or under.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. Below; in a place beneath.
- prep. Under, below, beneath.
- prep. Under the control or power of.
- adj. Under, lower.
- n. The part under or lower.
- n. A background radio sound track played during a specific announcement or program.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. Beneath; below; in a lower place; under.
- prep. Under; beneath; below.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Beneath; below; in a lower place.
- Under; beneath.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. on the lower or downward side; on the underside of
- adv. under or below an object or a surface; at a lower place or level; directly beneath
The company secretary inscribed his name underneath with a grand flourish.
The skin underneath is constantly breaking down and is very painful.
Portia, and engraved; but I think no one, without the label underneath, would have imagined in it even the intention of my portrait.
I downloaded the router's user guide and find in a section that mentions: "if client device ask for the router's PIN, it can be found on the label underneath the router".
Most museums have some serious regulations against photography and not much effort goes into reading the label underneath the painting where the artwork is hung.
While most museums have some serious regulations against photography and not much effort goes into reading the label underneath the painting where the artwork is hung.
The code is handily printed on a label underneath too, along with the default web admin username and password, plus instructions on how to use the WPS button, and how to reset and restore the router to factory defaults.
Honestly, though - there were only a few reviewers who could look past the pseudo-incestual overtones to see what was underneath, and your description of the "underneath" is better than any I could give myself.
The “INTERNET” with the arrow underneath is very very cute.
The "flat disk" underneath is the internalized vestigial shell of the slugs in the genus Limax (also present in some other genera, for example, Deroceras).