from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The variety of Chinese spoken in and around Guangzhou (formerly Canton), China.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Relating to Canton.
- adj. Relating to Cantonese people.
- adj. Relating to Cantonese language.
- n. An inhabitant of Canton; a person of Canton descent.
- proper n. A Chinese language mainly spoken in the south-eastern part of Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, by the Chinese minorities in Southeast Asia and by many overseas Chinese worldwide.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to Canton.
- n. A native of Canton.
- n. The Chinese dialect of Canton.
- n. A person who speaks the Cantonese dialect.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the dialect of Chinese spoken in Canton and neighboring provinces and in Hong Kong and elsewhere outside China
Canton + -ese (Wiktionary)