from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A member of a people constituting the majority of the population of Sri Lanka.
- n. The Indic language of the Sinhalese that is the chief language of Sri Lanka.
- adj. Of or relating to Sri Lanka, the Sinhalese, or their language or culture.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or pertaining to the majority ethnic group of Sri Lanka, their Indo-Aryan language, or their culture.
- n. A Sinhalese person: a member of the majority ethnic group of Sri Lanka.
- proper n. The Indo-Aryan language of the Sinhalese people (the majority ethnic group of Sri Lanka).
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Same as Cingalese.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the Indic language spoken by the people of Sri Lanka
- n. a native or inhabitant of Sri Lanka
- adj. of or relating to the Sinhalese people
- adj. of or relating to the Sinhalese languages
Sanskrit Siṁhalam, Sri Lanka + -ese.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)