from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Moving, going, or growing upward: an ascending minor scale.
- adj. Moving or progressing toward a higher level or degree: an ascending order of difficulty.
- adj. Botany Growing or directing upward from a curved or slanted base, as certain plant stems.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of ascend.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Rising; moving upward.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Proceeding from a lower position to a higher; rising; moving upward; figuratively, proceeding from the less to the greater; proceeding from a later to an earlier time; rising from grave to acute.
- In botany, growing upward, as the stem of a plant, which is called the ascending axis.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of changing location in an upward direction
- adj. moving or going or growing upward
Sorry, no etymologies found.