from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Greek Mythology Of or relating to the greater gods and goddesses of the ancient Greek pantheon, whose abode was Mount Olympus.
- adj. Majestic in manner.
- adj. Superior to mundane affairs.
- adj. Surpassing all others in scope and effect: Olympian efforts were mounted to keep the city from going bankrupt.
- adj. Of or relating to the Olympic Games.
- adj. Of or relating to the region of Olympia in Greece or its inhabitants.
- n. Greek Mythology One of the 12 major gods and goddesses inhabiting Mount Olympus.
- n. One who is superior to all others: an intellectual Olympian.
- n. A contestant in either the ancient or the modern Olympic Games.
- n. A native or inhabitant of the region of Olympia in Greece.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or relating to the Greek gods; godlike, celestial.
- adj. Aloof; remote and superior.
- adj. Of or relating to Olympia or Mount Olympus.
- adj. Of or relating the Olympic Games.
- n. Any of the 12 principal gods of the Greek pantheon; Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, Ares, Hermes, Hephaestus, Aphrodite, Athena, Apollo, Artemis, Demeter, and Hades.
- n. Someone from Olympia.
- n. An athlete competing in the Olympics.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to Olympus, a mountain of Thessaly, fabled as the seat of the gods, or to Olympia, a small plain in Elis.
- proper n. A god who dwells on Olympus.
- proper n. An inhabitant of Olympia.
- proper n. An athlete who competes in the Olympics.
- adj. Pertaining to, characteristic of, or fitting for one of the gods on Olympus; grand, majestic, or aloof.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Same as Olympic.
- n. A dweller in Olympus; one of the twelve greater gods of Greece—Zeus, Hera, Athena, Apollo, Artemis, Hermes, Ares, Aphrodite, Hephæstus, Hestia, Poseidon, and Demeter.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an athlete who participates in the Olympic games
- adj. of or pertaining to the greater gods of ancient Greece whose abode was Mount Olympus
- n. a classical Greek god after the overthrow of the Titans
- adj. far beyond what is usual in magnitude or degree
- adj. of the region of Olympia in Greece or its inhabitants
- adj. majestic in manner or bearing; superior to mundane matters
From Latin Olympius + -an. (Wiktionary)