from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Celestial; heavenly.
- adj. Of, coming from, or being in the sky or high above.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Pertaining to heaven or to the sky; celestial.
- adj. Exalted, exquisite, superlative.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Being in a higher place or region; locally higher.
- adj. Relating or belonging to things above; celestial; heavenly.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Being in a higher or upper place; situated above: as, supernal regions.
- Relating to things above; celestial; heavenly.
- In zoology, superior in position; situated high up: as, the supernal nostrils of a bird.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. being or coming from on high
- adj. of heaven or the spirit
Middle English, from Old French, from Latin supernus; see uper in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old French supernel or Medieval Latin supernālis, from Latin supernus. (Wiktionary)