from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A narrow or obstructed section, as of a highway or a pipeline.
- n. A point or an area of traffic congestion.
- n. A hindrance to progress or production.
- n. The narrow part of a bottle near the top.
- n. Music A style of guitar playing in which an object, such as a piece of glass or metal, is passed across the strings to achieve a gliding sound.
- transitive v. To slow down or impede by creating an obstruction.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The narrow portion that forms the pouring spout of a bottle; the neck of a bottle.
- n. In traffic, any narrowing of the road, especially resulting in a delay.
- n. Any delay; part of a process that is too slow or cumbersome.
- v. To slow by causing a bottleneck.
- v. To form a bottleneck.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- a location or situation in which otherwise rapid progress is impeded.
- a point at which road traffic slows due to congestion or narrowing of the roadway.
- an impasse.
- a narrowing.
- transitive v. same as obstruct.
- intransitive v. to become narrower as one approaches a point; -- said of roads.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. slow down or impede by creating an obstruction
- n. the narrow part of a bottle near the top
- v. become narrow, like a bottleneck
- n. a narrowing that reduces the flow through a channel
bottle + neck (Wiktionary)