from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The quality or state of being brief in duration.
- n. Concise expression; terseness.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The quality of being brief in duration.
- n. Succinctness; conciseness.
- n. A short piece of writing.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Shortness of duration; briefness of time.
- n. Contraction into few words; conciseness.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Shortness; especially, surprising or excessive curtailment of the thing spoken of: as, the brevity of human life. Specifically
- n. Shortness in speech or writing; conciseness; condensation into few words.
- n. Synonyms Compression, terseness, pithiness, succinctness, condensation, sententiousness, curtness.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the use of brief expressions
- n. the attribute of being brief or fleeting
Latin brevitās, from brevis, short; see brief.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
First attested in English in 1509; either: (Wiktionary)