from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to the production, development, and management of material wealth, as of a country, household, or business enterprise.
- adj. Of or relating to an economy: a period of sustained economic growth.
- adj. Of or relating to the science of economics: new economic theories regarding the effects of deficit spending.
- adj. Of or relating to the practical necessities of life; material: wrote the book primarily for economic reasons.
- adj. Financially rewarding; economical: It was no longer economic to keep the manufacturing facilities open.
- adj. Efficient; economical: an economic use of home heating oil.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. pertaining to an economy
- adj. frugal; cheap (in the sense of representing good value); economical.
- adj. pertaining to the study of money and its movement
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pertaining to the household; domestic.
- adj. Relating to domestic economy, or to the management of household affairs.
- adj. Managing with frugality; guarding against waste or unnecessary expense; careful and frugal in management and in expenditure; -- said of character or habits.
- adj. Managed with frugality; not marked with waste or extravagance; using the minimum of time or effort or resources required for effectiveness; frugal; -- said of acts; saving.
- adj. of or pertaining to the national or regional economy; relating to political economy; relating to the means of living, or the resources and wealth of a country; relating to the production or consumption of goods and services of a nation or region
- adj. Regulative; relating to the adaptation of means to an end.
- adj. of or pertaining to economics.
- adj. profitable. Opposite of
- adj. avoiding waste. Opposite of
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Relating or pertaining to the household; domestic.
- Pertaining to the regulation of household concerns.
- Pertaining to pecuniary means or concerns; relating to or connected with income and expenditure: as, his economic management was bad; he was restrained by economic considerations; the economic branches of government.
- Of or pertaining to economics, or the production, distribution, and use of wealth; relating to the means of living, or to the arts by which human needs and comforts are supplied: as, an economic problem; economic disturbances; economic geology or botany.
- Characterized by freedom from wastefulness, extravagance, or excess; frugal; saving; sparing: as, economic use of money or of material.
- = Syn.5. Saving, sparing, careful, thrifty, provident.
- n. etc. Obsolete forms of economic, etc.
- Relating to value as viewed from the standpoint of material welfare in contrast with values of other orders.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. concerned with worldly necessities of life (especially money)
- adj. of or relating to an economy, the system of production and management of material wealth
- adj. using the minimum of time or resources necessary for effectiveness
- adj. of or relating to the science of economics
- adj. financially rewarding
economy + -ic (Wiktionary)