from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of permitting.
- n. Consent, especially formal consent; authorization.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. authorisation; consent (especially formal consent from someone in authority)
- n. The act of permitting
- n. flags or access control lists pertaining to a file that dictate who can access it, and how.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of permitting or allowing; formal consent; authorization; leave; license or liberty granted.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of permitting or allowing; license or liberty granted; consent; leave; allowance.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. approval to do something
- n. the act of giving a formal (usually written) authorization
Middle English, from Old French, from Latin permissiō, permissiōn-, from permissus, past participle of permittere, to permit; see permit.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Middle English permitten, from Middle French permettre, from Latin permittere ("to give up", "to allow"). (Wiktionary)