from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person having one-quarter Black ancestry. See Usage Note at octoroon.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person of three-fourths Caucasian descent and one fourth African descent.
- adj. Having three-fourths Caucasian descent and one-fourth African descent.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The offspring of a mulatto and a white person; a person quarter-blooded.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The offspring of a mulatto and a white person; a person having one fourth African blood.
- Fourth in descent from a negro parent, one parent in each generation having been white.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an offspring of a mulatto and a white parent; a person who is one-quarter black
Alteration of Spanish cuarterón, from cuarto, quarter, from Latin quārtus.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Alteration of Spanish cuarterón ("offspring of European and mestizo"), from cuarto ("fourth"), from Latin quartus ("fourth") (Wiktionary)