from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To look about or survey with unsophisticated wonderment or curiosity.
- n. A rubbernecker.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Someone who engages in rubbernecking, or turning and staring.
- n. A tourist.
- n. Someone or something with a flexible neck.
- v. To watch by craning the neck (as though it were made of rubber), especially if the observer and observed are in motion relative to each other.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a tourist who is visiting sights of interest
- n. a person who stares inquisitively
- v. strain to watch; stare curiously
Coined in the sense of "tourist" in the United States in the late 19th century. A favored Americanism of H.L. Mencken. (Wiktionary)