from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Relating to saprophytes or their life style.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Feeding or growing upon decaying animal or vegetable matter; pertaining to a saprophyte or the saprophytes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to or of the nature of saprophytes; growing on decaying vegetable matter. See Perisporiaceæ.
- In zoology, engendered or growing in putrid infusions, as one of numberless infusorial animalcules; saprogenous: opposed to holophytic.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. obtaining food osmotically from dissolved organic material
- adj. (of some plants or fungi) feeding on dead or decaying organic matter
Sorry, no etymologies found.