from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The state of being unemployed, especially involuntarily.
- n. The percentage or number of people who are involuntarily unemployed: Unemployment has been shrinking throughout the recovery.
- n. Unemployment compensation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state of having no job; joblessness.
- n. The phenomenon of joblessness in an economy.
- n. The level of joblessness in an economy, often measured as a percentage of the workforce.
- n. A type of joblessness due to a particular economic mechanism.
- n. An instance or period of joblessness.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Quality or state of being not employed; -- used esp. in economics, of the condition of various social classes when temporarily thrown out of employment, as those engaged for short periods, those whose trade is decaying, and those least competent.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The condition of being unemployed; the state of being unused.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the state of being unemployed or not having a job
Sorry, no etymologies found.