from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A game played with a bat and ball by two opposing teams of nine players, each team playing alternately in the field and at bat, the players at bat having to run a course of four bases laid out in a diamond pattern in order to score.
- n. The ball that is used in this game.
- n. A game of darts in which the players attempt to score points by throwing the darts at a target laid out in the form of a baseball diamond.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A sport common in North America, the Caribbean, and Japan, in which the object is to strike a ball so that one of a nine-person team can run counter-clockwise among four bases, resulting in the scoring of a run. The team with the most runs after termination of play, usually nine innings, wins.
- n. The ball used to play the sport of baseball.
- n. A variant of poker in which cards with baseball-related values have special significance.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A game of ball, so called from the bases or bounds (four in number) which designate the circuit which each player must endeavor to make after striking the ball.
- n. The ball used in this game.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A game of ball played by eighteen persons, nine on a side.
- n. The ball with which this game is played.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a ball game played with a bat and ball between two teams of nine players; teams take turns at bat trying to score runs
- n. a ball used in playing baseball
Billy Mays is NOT a baseball player snafilter What your favorite baseball team #baseball (Please RT):: Easy the Braves!
Fortunately for New York, no pitcher in baseball is more used to the pressures of October than Mr. Pettitte.
NEW YORK Here's good news for New York Yankees fans — and bad news for those who revile the club as the Evil Empire: The richest club in baseball is about to get richer.
However, Cronin's announcement of the franchise shift today contained the statement that "no person presently in baseball is being considered for Washington."
The most consistent thing about Dunn, one of the most consistent players in baseball, is how often he simply takes the field.
For example, one of the most electrifying plays in baseball is the attempted steal of home, a feat that has all but vanished.
One of the oft-repeated axioms in baseball is that when the season starts, pitchers generally have the upper hand against hitters.
Remember, one of the oldest clichés in baseball is that sometimes the best trades are the ones that are never made.
"The draft in baseball is so different than it is in other sports because fans 'expectancy is that the first pick is the best pick," he says.
The only more hapless team in baseball is my beloved New York Mets.