from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The quality of being capable; ability.
- n. A talent or ability that has potential for development or use. Often used in the plural: a student of great capabilities.
- n. The capacity to be used, treated, or developed for a specific purpose: nuclear capability.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The power or ability to generate an outcome.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The quality of being capable; capacity; capableness; esp. intellectual power or ability.
- n. Capacity of being used or improved.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The quality of being capable; ability to receive, or power to do; capacity of undergoing or of doing; capacity; ability; capableness.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the susceptibility of something to a particular treatment
- n. an aptitude that may be developed
- n. the quality of being capable -- physically or intellectually or legally
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The end of negative capability is to create something beyond one's usual or conscious (affirmative?) capability like that splendid Satan whose star of morning so outshines God's sun and son.
$capability as whatever capability you would normally use.
To date, I have to admit that I have no clear idea of what the term "capability" means.
Some of the pilots I spoke to described the F‑22 as such a huge leap in capability that it ought to be considered not a fifth-generation fighter, one step up from the F‑15, but sixth-generation.
For modern phones like iPhone and others the HD capability is already there and might be switched with a software update.
But computers are doubling in capability approximately every 2 years.
But clarity, eye-relief, and light-gathering capability is generally very good.
But 3D capability is also popping up nearly everywhere.
Such a gap in capability could have wide-ranging impacts on all GPS users, though there are measures the Air Force and others can take to plan for and minimize these impacts.
And with these complex systems, capability is the real issue, because once capability exists you can anticipate exploitation of whatever systems you have to control abuse (or not, as in the case of GOP ideology).