from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An often jumbled assortment; a mixture: "That night he dreamed he was traveling in a foreign country, only it seemed to be a medley of all the countries he'd ever been to and even some he hadn't” ( Anne Tyler).
- n. Music An arrangement made from a series of melodies, often from various sources.
- n. Sports An event in competitive swimming in which backstroke, breaststroke, butterfly, and freestyle are swum in equal distances by an individual or as divisions of a relay race.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To combine, to form a medley.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Mixed; of mixed material or color.
- adj. Mingled; confused.
- n. A mixture; a mingled and confused mass of ingredients, usually inharmonious; a jumble; a hodgepodge; -- often used contemptuously.
- n. The confusion of a hand to hand battle; a brisk, hand to hand engagement; a mêlée.
- n. A composition of passages detached from several different compositions; a potpourri.
- n. A cloth of mixed colors.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A mixture; a mingled and confused mass of elements, ingredients, or parts; a jumble; a hodgepodge.
- n. A musical composition, song, or entertainment consisting of incongruous or disjointed scraps or parts selected from different sources; a mélange or potpourri.
- n. A fabric woven from yarn spun from wool which has been dyed of various colors.
- n. A hand-to-hand fight; a melley or mêlée.
- n. Synonyms Miscellany, Jumble, etc. See mixture.
- Mingled; confused.
- Mixed; of a mixed stuff or color.
- To mix.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a musical composition consisting of a series of songs or other musical pieces from various sources
Beck did this so often that comedian Lewis Black strung them together on The Daily Show in what he called a medley of Beck's "Hitler Tourette's Syndrome."
The Daily Show in what he called a medley of Beck's "Hitler Tourette's Syndrome."
Beyoncé's medley is shaping up as a monster production number.
A fine medley from a quartet out of the St Laurence O'Toole Pipe Band.
Fifth Dimension has the US hit with "Up, Up and Away" and also worldwide hits with a medley from the hippy musical Hair.
Hi trupti those pictures are beautiful as well as frightening ..!!! with that mush snow ..!!!! the spinach medley is looking yummy!!! thanks for sharing.
Pizzarelli graciously credits the wife with carpentering one of the most compelling segments in their couldn't-be-more-musical act: the medleys -- although what they do transcends the connotations of the word "medley" -- or what is now called "a mash-up" on the television series Glee.
Early on – Phelps confessed the medley was his biggest challenge in an individual event – but that hurdle is behind him now.
A pervading hue of the mossy green of antiquity harmonizes all this medley, which is undoubtedly centuries old.
There are two notes worth recording with respect to this curious medley, which is obviously a modern version of a much older composition.