from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. The space between the bed and the wall.
  • n. A chamber, especially as formerly used in France to hold a reception or a literary gathering.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A private circle or assembly at a private house; a circle.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. . The space between a bed and the wall.
  • n. Hence, a bedchamber in which persons of quality, especially ladies, in France during the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries held receptions in the morning, to which persons distinguished for learning, wit, etc., as well as those constituting society, were invited; hence, such a reception, where the events of the day, etc., were discussed.


Borrowing from French ruelle. (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • This word was chosen as Wordnik word of the day.

    November 11, 2009

  • "Oh, he got out of the ruelle side of the bed today."

    August 25, 2009

  • My sister and I called in Narnia when we were kids.

    August 25, 2009

  • I told my kids that the space between the bed and the wall is called the spider crack.

    August 25, 2009

  • from OED:

    The space between a bed and the wall; the part of a bed next the wall.

    August 25, 2009

  • A private assembly;a select social gathering

    November 5, 2007