from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A drawing medium of dried paste made of ground pigments and a water-based binder that is manufactured in crayon form.
- n. A crayon of this material.
- n. A picture or sketch drawn with this type of crayon.
- n. The art or process of drawing with pastels.
- n. A soft delicate hue; a pale color: a room done all in pastels.
- n. A sketchy or brief prose work.
- adj. Of, relating to, or made of pastel.
- adj. Pale and soft in color.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several subdued tints of colors, usually associated with pink, peach, yellow, green, blue and lavender
- n. A drawing made with any of those colors.
- n. A type of dried paste used to make crayons.
- n. A crayon made from such a paste.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A crayon made of a paste composed of a color ground with gum water.
- n. A plant affording a blue dye; the woad (Isatis tinctoria); also, the dye itself.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The plant woad, Isatis tinctoria; also, the blue dye obtained from it.
- n. In art: A colored crayon made of pigments ground with chalk, and compounded with gum-water into a sort of paste.
- n. A drawing made with colored chalks or crayons; also, the art of drawing with colored crayons.
- n. Figuratively, a short prose study, poetic, picturesque, but sketchy.
- n. In textiles, a soft half-faded tint in fabrics used for dress-materials: so called from its resemblance to the tones of old pastel drawings.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of various pale or light colors
- adj. delicate and pale in color
- adj. lacking in body or vigor
She always wore immaculate, starched dresses in pastel colors and usually had these topped off by a cotton bib apron.
The Austen/Bronte books being done in pastel pink is particularly tasteless and dreadful, but I pity the poor authors who spent years crafting books they think of as serious to get slapped with a high hems and heels cover.
For my granddaughter's (5 girls so far) I'm going to make Practically Perfect's gathered shift in pastel eyelet (lined of course.)
The initial Peeps line will feature the bunny and chick icons sculptured in pastel colors and accented with 24-karat gold.
I used the parchment paper in pastel colors, but any kind of heavy paper will work.
Avatars blinked and flashed and words in pastel colors were vomited across the screen.
A bica and a pastel is part of my morning ritual before heading to the office.
The eastern horizon steadily gathered up its strength in pastel hues.
A lovely morning at 7am, with everything looking washed clean in pastel shades from the storm the night before.
Somehow we slipped past the door into a room jammed with handsome, arrhythmic dancers in pastel polo shirts with turned-up collars.