from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A garment for the upper part of the body, typically having a collar, sleeves, and a front opening.
- n. An undershirt.
- n. A nightshirt.
- idiom keep (one's) shirt on Slang To remain calm or patient: The plane doesn't land for another hour, so keep your shirt on.
- idiom lose (one's) shirt Slang To lose everything one has or owns.
- idiom the shirt off (one's) back Slang The maximum one is able to give or lose: The only thing those swindlers didn't take was the shirt off my back.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An article of clothing that is worn on the upper part of the body, and often has sleeves, either long or short, that cover the arms.
- n. a member of the shirt-wearing team.
- v. To cover or clothe with a shirt, or as if with a shirt.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A loose under-garment for the upper part of the body, made of cotton, linen, or other material; -- formerly used of the under-garment of either sex, now commonly restricted to that worn by men and boys.
- v. To cover or clothe with a shirt, or as with a shirt.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A garment, formerly the chief under-garment of both sexes.
- n. The amnion, or some part of it.
- n. In a blast-furnace, an interior lining.
- To clothe with a shirt; hence, by extension, to clothe; cover.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a garment worn on the upper half of the body
- v. put a shirt on
My son was with me all weekend and we went to the movies together, went clothing shopping together (I bought a new lime green patterned skirt and matching shirt and tangerine skort and matching shirt cute SUMMER feeling clothes)
However, I am wearing the "scary-sexy" (as the DPD calls it) mandarin shirt ... yes, * the shirt*.
"'_Without a shirt, without a shirt_,'" gagged Peter, _sotto voce_, and marvelled at himself.
Alone, the word shirt carries plenty of manly associations, at least if one looks widely enough into its roots.
The Binwin shirt is available right now in the PvPstuff. com Store.
This shirt is a great ice-breaker when meeting cannibals …
Great movie but I have to agree the shirt is a little out there. okayflint this shirt's way too busy fex
Yes, people, the muted-colors aloha shirt is actually typical formal wear here.
This shirt is awesome ... and the description underneath is hilarious!
He wants it so much that his shirt is always dirtier than anyone else's.