from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several small, mostly carnivorous New World mammals of the genus Mephitis and related genera, having a bushy tail and black fur with white markings and ejecting a foul-smelling oily liquid from glands near the anus when frightened or in danger. Also called polecat.
- n. The glossy black and white fur of this mammal.
- n. Slang A person regarded as obnoxious or despicable.
- n. Slang A person whose company is avoided.
- transitive v. Slang To defeat overwhelmingly, especially by keeping from scoring.
- transitive v. To cheat (someone).
- transitive v. To fail to pay (an amount due).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various small mammals, of the family Mephitidae, native to North and Central America, having a glossy black with a white coat and two musk glands at the base of the tail for emitting a noxious smell as a defensive measure.
- n. A despicable person.
- n. Short for skunkweed (marijuana).
- n. A walkover victory in sports or board games, as when the opposing side is unable to score. Compare shutout.
- n. A win by 30 or more points.
- v. To defeat so badly as to prevent any opposing points.
- v. To win by 30 or more points.
- v. (of beer) to go bad, to spoil
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Any one of several species of American musteline carnivores of the genus Mephitis and allied genera. They have two glands near the anus, secreting an extremely fetid liquid, which the animal ejects at pleasure as a means of defense.
- transitive v. In games of chance and skill: To defeat (an opponent) (as in cards) so that he fails to gain a point, or (in checkers) to get a king.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To beat (a player) in a game, as cards or billiards, completely, so that the loser fails to score.
- To cause disease in or of; sicken; scale, or deprive of scales: said of fish in the live-well of a fishing-smack.
- In an election, to defeat (an opponent) completely, so that the latter gets no votes at all.
- To leave without paying one's bills.
- n. A fetid animal of the American genus Mephitis, M. mephitica.
- n. By extension Any species of one of the American genera Mephitis, Spilogale, and Conepatus, and some others of the family Mustelidæ, as the African zorille, Asiatic teledu or stinkard, etc. See these words.
- n. A base fellow: a vulgar term of reproach.
- n. A complete defeat, as in some game in which not a point is scored by the beaten party.
- n. Including the little striped skunks, at least twelve species have been recognized. After being changed back and forth by various revisers the name Mephitis is retained for the larger species and Spilogale for the smaller.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. American musteline mammal typically ejecting an intensely malodorous fluid when startled; in some classifications put in a separate subfamily Mephitinae
- v. defeat by a lurch
- n. a defeat in a game where one side fails to score
- n. a person who is deemed to be despicable or contemptible
- n. street names for marijuana
What I think we need more with NASA and with the Pentagon is less of this micro-managing, which adds hugely to costs, and have a fundamental reform of contracting where you say what your goals are with a vehicle or a weapons system, and then put it in what they call skunk works, where you say get the job done, we're not going to micro - manage you.
I couldn't help but laugh when they were showing that clip of Bruha talking away and the poor skunk is walking around in circles STILL with that jar on its head.
I also like the way the skunk is walking around in the background with the jar stuck on it's head as they interview the whisperer.
"The mean, crawlin 'skunk!" the pocket-miner gritted in his blankets.
McCain smells like a rose, and Obama stinks, or, it's all Obama's fault, or, somehow, the skunk, an unnamed reptile, and Obama have had a freindship in the past and the skunk is Wildlife's gift to terrorism.
Marjorie Wallace, chief executive of the mental health charity Sane, said: Cannabis, particularly skunk, is finally being recognised as having potentially devastating effects on the developing brains of some young people.
The little guy was hungry, so they called the skunk whisperer, I guess.
How was I gonna evict a skunk from the bedroom 12 hours before flight time?
I mean, the word skunk literally means "one who squirts", which makes me glad that my parents called me Jamie, which, if a little boring Scottish pet form of James, which is biblical, at least doesn't refer to what I may or may not do with any of my orifices.
Interesting - the plant we know as skunk cabbage here in the UK is Lysichiton americanus.