from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or process of consuming.
- n. The state of being consumed.
- n. An amount consumed.
- n. Economics The using up of goods and services by consumer purchasing or in the production of other goods.
- n. Pathology A progressive wasting of body tissue.
- n. Pathology Pulmonary tuberculosis. No longer in scientific use.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of consuming something.
- n. The amount consumed.
- n. The wasting-away of the human body through disease.
- n. Pulmonary tuberculosis.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act or process of consuming by use, waste, etc.; decay; destruction.
- n. The state or process of being consumed, wasted, or diminished; waste; diminution; loss; decay.
- n. A progressive wasting away of the body; esp., that form of wasting, attendant upon pulmonary phthisis and associated with cough, spitting of blood, hectic fever, etc.; pulmonary phthisis; -- called also pulmonary consumption.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of consuming; destruction as by decomposition, burning, eating, etc.; hence, destruction of substance; annihilation.
- n. Specifically Dissipation or destruction by use; in polit. ccon., the use or expenditure of the products of industry, or of anything having an exchangeable value.
- n. The state of being wasted or diminished.
- n. In medicine: A wasting away of the flesh; a gradual attenuation of the body; progressive emaciation: a word of comprehensive signification
- n. More specifically, a disease of the lungs accompanied by fever and emaciation, often but not invariably fatal: called technically phthisis, or phthisis pulmonaris. See phthisis and tuberculosis.
- n. In Roman law, loss of a right of action after commencement of the suit.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (economics) the utilization of economic goods to satisfy needs or in manufacturing
- n. the act of consuming something
- n. the process of taking food into the body through the mouth (as by eating)
- n. involving the lungs with progressive wasting of the body
Middle English consumpcioun, from Latin cōnsūmptiō, cōnsūmptiōn-, a consuming, from cōnsūmptus, past participle of cōnsūmere, to consume; see consume.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)