from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to contagion.
- adj. Transmissible by direct or indirect contact; communicable: a contagious disease.
- adj. Capable of transmitting disease; carrying a disease: stayed at home until he was no longer contagious.
- adj. Spreading or tending to spread from one to another; infectious: a contagious smile.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of a disease, easily transmitted to others.
- adj. Of a fashion, laughter, etc., easily passed on to others.
- adj. Of a person, having a disease that can be transmitted to another person by touch.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Communicable by contact, by a virus, or by a bodily exhalation; catching.
- adj. Conveying or generating disease; pestilential; poisonous.
- adj. Spreading or communicable from one to another; exciting similar emotions or conduct in others.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Communicable by contagion; that may be imparted by contact or by emanations; catching: as, a contagious disease.
- Containing or generating contagion; poisonous; pestilential: as, contagious air; contagious clothing.
- Propagated by influence or incitement; exciting like feeling or action; spreading or liable to spread from one to another: as, contagious example; a contagious speculation.
- Arising from or due to contagion, in either sense; brought about by propagation or incitement: as, a contagious epidemic.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. (of disease) capable of being transmitted by infection
- adj. easily diffused or spread as from one person to another
Sorry, no etymologies found.