from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Sanctified; consecrated: a hallowed cemetery.
- adj. Highly venerated; sacrosanct: our hallowed war heroes.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Consecrated or sanctified; sacred, holy.
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of hallow.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. belonging to or derived from or associated with a divine power; made holy. Opposite of
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. worthy of religious veneration
From Middle English halwed ("hallowed, sacred, sanctified"), from Old English ġehālgod ("hallowed, sacred, sanctified"), past participle of hālgian ("to hallow, make holy"). Equivalent to hallow + -ed. More at hallow. (Wiktionary)