from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Full of mercy; compassionate: sought merciful treatment for the captives. See Synonyms at humane.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. showing mercy
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Full of mercy; having or exercising mercy; disposed to pity and spare offenders; unwilling to punish. Opposite of
- adj. Unwilling to give pain; compassionate.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Possessing the attribute of mercy; exercising forbearance or pity; not revengeful or cruel; clement; compassionate; gracious.
- Charaoterized by mercy; manifesting clemency or compassion; giving relief from danger, need, or suffering.
- Synonyms Humane, Merciful (see humane), lenient, mild, tender-hearted.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. showing or giving mercy
- adj. (used conventionally of royalty and high nobility) gracious
mercy + -ful (Wiktionary)