from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The quality or state of being iridescent.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The condition or state of being iridescent; exhibition of colors like those of the rainbow; a prismatic play of color.
- n. Any shimmer of glittering and changeable colors.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Exhibition of colors like those of the rainbow, especially a surface reflection which changes color with the angle at which the object is viewed; the quality or state of being iridescent; a prismatic play of color. It is due to interference of light waves reflected from the front and back surfaces of a thin layer transparent or semitransparent film.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The condition of being iridescent; exhibition of alternating or intermingling colors like those of the rainbow, as in mother-of-pearl, where it is an effect of interference (see interference, 5); any shimmer of glittering and changeable colors.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the visual property of something having a milky brightness and a play of colors from the surface
Sorry, no etymologies found.