from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Scholarly or scientific investigation or inquiry. See Synonyms at inquiry.
- n. Close, careful study.
- intransitive v. To engage in or perform research.
- transitive v. To study (something) thoroughly so as to present in a detailed, accurate manner: researching the effects of acid rain.
- transitive v. To do research for: research a magazine article.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Diligent inquiry or examination to seek or revise facts, principles, theories, applications, etc.; laborious or continued search after truth.
- n. A particular instance or piece of research.
- v. To search or examine with continued care; to seek diligently.
- v. To make an extensive investigation into.
- v. To search again.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Diligent inquiry or examination in seeking facts or principles; laborious or continued search after truth.
- n. Systematic observation of phenomena for the purpose of learning new facts or testing the application of theories to known facts; -- also called scientific research. This is the research part of the phrase “research and development” (R&D).
- transitive v. To search or examine with continued care; to seek diligently.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To search or examine with continued care; examine into or inquire about diligently.
- n. Diligent inquiry, examination, or study; laborious or continued search after facts or principles; investigation: as, microscopical research; historical researches.
- n. In music, an extemporaneous composition preluding the performance of a work, and introducing some of its leading themes.
- n. Synonyms Investigation, Inquiry, etc. (see examination), exploration.
- To search again; examine anew.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. inquire into
- v. attempt to find out in a systematically and scientific manner
- n. systematic investigation to establish facts
- n. a search for knowledge
WORDS ACCENTED ON THE LAST SYLLABLE: address _address'_ adept _adept'_ adult _adult'_ ally _ally'_ commandant _commandänt '(ä as in arm) _ contour _contour'_ dessert _dessert'_ dilate _dilate'_ excise _eksiz'_ finance _finance'_ grimace _grimace'_ importune _importune'_ occult _occult'_ pretence _pretence'_ research _research'_ robust _robust'_ romance _romance'_ tirade _tirade'_
The objective of this research is the development of novel approaches to creating modular computer codes which will make it much easier to develop and apply computer models to an extended range of applications in research, industry and education.
However, sometimes the word research is by necessity employed in the general everyday context of the word because it is the clearest way to convey the fact that the scientific method can be applied in our personal lives as well as in university laboratories.
In everyday language, the word research has a broad spectrum of applications.
The word research has both general and specialized meanings, and it is essential that I clarify how the term is being used in this book.
"Investing in research is like investing in better brake linings, when taking your foot off the accelerator would do just as well."
However, this federally restricted use of the word research does not mean that the observations from personal life (herein called Type I Investigations) or experimenter pretesting (Type II Investigations) are either unimportant or uninformative and should therefore be dismissed.
The process of self-science extends beyond restricted semantic uses of the term research; it encompasses the deepest sense of what it means to do research.
What does become obvious in research is the huge cash cow that Guantanamo has become for these corporations and why they relentlessly enlist the likes of Cheney and John Bolton to keep the facilities there open.
I've concluded that geoengineering research – and I emphasise the term research - is, sadly, necessary.