from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of worldwide scope or applicability; universal.
- adj. Of or relating to the worldwide Christian church.
- adj. Concerned with establishing or promoting unity among churches or religions.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- General; universal; specifically, belonging to the entire Christian church.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. concerned with promoting unity among churches or religions
- adj. of worldwide scope or applicability
From Late Latin oecūmenicus, from Greek oikoumenikos, from (hē) oikoumenē (gē), (the) inhabited (world), feminine present passive participle of oikein, to inhabit, from oikos, house; see weik-1 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From ecumenic + -al. (Wiktionary)