from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The state of being heavy; weight, weightiness, force of impact or gravity.
- n. Oppression; dejectedness, sadness.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state or quality of being heavy in its various senses; weight; sadness; sluggishness; oppression; thickness.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or quality of being heavy; weight; burden; gravity.
- n. A heavy state of mind; grief; sorrow; despondency; sluggishness; languidness; oppression; tediousness.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. persisting sadness
- n. an oppressive quality that is laborious and solemn and lacks grace or fluency
- n. the property of being comparatively great in weight
- n. unwelcome burdensome difficulty
- n. used of a line or mark
From heavy + -ness. (Wiktionary)