from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, resembling, or characteristic of a fox.
- adj. Cunning; clever.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Pertaining to a fox.
- adj. Having the characteristics of a fox, foxlike; cunning.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the fox; resembling the fox; foxy; cunning; crafty; artful.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to a fox; technically, resembling the fox as a member of tho Vulpinæ; related to the foxes; alopecoid: distinguished from lupine or thoöid.
- Resembling a fox in traits or disposition; also, characteristic of the fox; foxy; cunning; crafty.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. resembling or characteristic of a fox
Latin vulpīnus, from vulpēs, fox.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin vulpinus ("foxy, fox-like"), from vulpēs, earlier volpēs ("fox"), from Proto-Indo-European *wl(o)p- (“fox”). Cognate with Welsh llywarn ("fox"), Ancient Greek ἀλώπηξ (alōpēks), Armenian աղուէս (aluēs), Albanian dhelpër, Lithuanian vilpišỹs ("wildcat"), Sanskrit lopāśa ("jackal, fox"). (Wiktionary)