from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A framed section of a window or door that is usually filled with a sheet of glass or other transparent material.
  • n. The transparent material used to fill such a section.
  • n. A panel, as of a door or wall.
  • n. One of the flat surfaces or facets of an object, such as a bolt, having many sides.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. An individual sheet of glass in a window.
  • n. A layer in the build-up of a GUI.
  • n. Alternative spelling of peen.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. The narrow edge of a hammer head. See peen.
  • n. A division; a distinct piece, limited part, or compartment of any surface; a patch; hence, a square of a checkered or plaided pattern.
  • n. One of the openings in a slashed garment, showing the bright colored silk, or the like, within; hence, the piece of colored or other stuff so shown.
  • n.
  • n. A compartment of a surface, or a flat space; hence, one side or face of a building.
  • n. Especially, in modern use, the glass in one compartment of a window sash; a windowpane.
  • n. In irrigating, a subdivision of an irrigated surface between a feeder and an outlet drain.
  • n.
  • n. One of the flat surfaces, or facets, of any object having several sides.
  • n. One of the eight facets surrounding the table of a brilliant cut diamond.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • To insert panes or panels in. See paned.
  • n. A distinct part or piece of any surface; a division; specifically, a marked division in a wall or fence.
  • n. . A pale; a stake.
  • n. In costume: A piece of cloth of a different color inserted in a garment for ornament; a stripe or panel inserted in a garment.
  • n. An opening or slash in a dress, either for the purpose of displaying a garment underneath or for the insertion of a piece of cloth of another color or fabric.
  • n. A skirt, as of a coat; a lappet or flap; also, a robe.
  • n. A piece, part, or portion having mainly a plane surface and a rectangular or other definite symmetrical shape.
  • n. A square in a checkered pattern.
  • n. A flat-dressed side or face of a stone or log.
  • n. A panel or division of a work; a sunken part surrounded by a border.
  • n. In irrigation, a subdivision of the irrigated surface between a feeder and an outlet-drain.
  • n. The side of a tower, spire, or other building.
  • n. One of the eight sides of the table of brilliant-cut diamond.
  • n. One of the sides of a bolt-head or large nut. Nuts are designated according to the number of sides, as six-paned nuts, eight-paned nuts, etc.
  • n. A hide or side of fur; fur.
  • n. The striking face of a hammer.
  • n. In milling: The space between two leader-furrows in a millstone; the space from one leader-furrow to the next.
  • n. One of the burstones which form the face of a millstone.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. street name for lysergic acid diethylamide
  • n. a panel or section of panels in a wall or door
  • n. sheet glass cut in shapes for windows or doors


Middle English, section, pane of glass, from Old French pan, piece of cloth, panel, from Latin pannus, cloth.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Middle English pane, pan, from Old French pan, from Latin pannus. (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • JM knows a very bad glassblower who inhaled and got a pane in the stomach.

    May 25, 2011