from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having no home or haven.
- n. People without homes considered as a group. Often used with the.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Lacking a permanent place of residence.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Destitute of a home.
- n.pl. Those people who have no permanent residence, especially those who live outdoors due to poverty; usually used in the definite phrase the homeless.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Destitute of a home.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone unfortunate without housing
- n. poor people who unfortunately do not have a home to live in
- adj. without nationality or citizenship
- adj. physically or spiritually homeless or deprived of security
From Middle English *homles, *hamles, from Old English hāmlēas ("homeless"), equivalent to home + -less. Cognate with Danish hjemløs ("homeless"), Swedish hemlös ("homeless"). Compare also German heimatlos ("homeless"), Icelandic heimilislaus ("homeless"). (Wiktionary)