from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A tangle or mass, especially of rough matted hair.
- n. A coarse long nap, as on a woolen cloth.
- n. Cloth having such a nap.
- n. A rug with a thick rough pile.
- n. Coarse shredded tobacco.
- transitive v. To make shaggy; roughen.
- n. A dance step of the 1930s consisting of a hop on each foot in turn.
- intransitive v. To perform or execute this dance.
- n. Either of two marine birds (Phalacrocorax aristotelis or P. punctatus) of Europe and North Africa, related to the cormorant.
- transitive v. To chase and bring back; fetch.
- transitive v. Baseball To chase and catch (fly balls) in practice.
- transitive v. To engage in sexual intercourse with.
- intransitive v. To engage in sexual intercourse.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Matted material; rough massed hair, fibres etc.
- n. Coarse shredded tobacco.
- n. A type of rough carpet pile.
- v. To make hairy or shaggy; to roughen.
- n. Several species of sea birds in the family Phalacrocoracidae (cormorant family), especially the common shag or European shag, Phalacrocorax aristotelis, found on European and African coasts.
- v. To shake, wiggle around.
- v. To have sexual intercourse with.
- v. To masturbate.
- v. To chase after; especially : to chase after and return (a ball) hit usually out of play
- n. A swing dance.
- n. An act of sexual intercourse.
- n. A casual sexual partner.
- n. A fundraising dance in honour of a couple engaged to be married.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Coarse hair or nap; rough, woolly hair.
- n. A kind of cloth having a long, coarse nap.
- n. A kind of prepared tobacco cut fine.
- n. Any species of cormorant.
- adj. Hairy; shaggy.
- transitive v. To make hairy or shaggy; hence, to make rough.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Rough matted hair, wool, or the like.
- n. Hence The nap of cloth, especially when long and coarse.
- n. Any cloth having a long nap.
- n. A strong tobacco cut into fine shreds.
- Rough and coarse; hairy; shaggy.
- Made of the cloth called shag.
- To roughen or make shaggy: used chiefly in the past participle.
- To hang in or form shaggy clusters.
- n. In ornithology, a cormorant; especially, the crested cormorant, or scart, Phalacrocorax graculus, of Europe, so called in Great Britain.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a lively dance step consisting of hopping on each foot in turn
- v. dance the shag
- n. slang for sexual intercourse
- n. a strong coarse tobacco that has been shredded
- n. a fabric with long coarse nap
- n. a matted tangle of hair or fiber
Middle English *shagge, from Old English sceacga, matted hair.
Perhaps from its shaggy crest.
Perhaps from obsolete shag, to shake.
Perhaps from obsolete shag, to shake, wiggle.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Old English sceacga, akin to Old Norse skegg, beard (compare Danish skæg, spelling before the writing reform of 1948: skjæg, Norwegian skjegg, Swedish skägg), from Old Norse skaga, to protrude. (Wiktionary)
Origin unknown. (Wiktionary)
Blend of shower ("bridal shower") and stag ("bachelor party"). (Wiktionary)