from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Lasting or active through the year or through many years.
- adj. Lasting an indefinitely long time; enduring: perennial happiness.
- adj. Appearing again and again; recurrent. See Synonyms at continual.
- adj. Botany Living three or more years.
- n. Botany A perennial plant.
- n. Something that recurs or seems to recur on a yearly or continual basis: "that hardy perennial, the budget deficit” ( David S. Broder).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Lasting or remaining active throughout the year, or all the time.
- adj. Having a life cycle of more than two years. Compare annual, biennial.
- adj. Continuing without cessation or intermission; perpetual; permanent; unceasing; never failing.
- adj. Enduring; lasting; timeless.
- adj. Recurrent; appearing or recurring again and again.
- n. A perennial plant; a plant that is active throughout the year or survives for more than two growing seasons. Compare annual, biennial.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. ing or continuing through the year.
- adj. Continuing without cessation or intermission; perpetual; unceasing; never failing.
- adj. Continuing more than two years.
- n. A perennial plant; a plant which lives or continues more than two years, whether it retains its leaves in winter or not.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Lasting or continuing without cessation through the year, or through many years: as, a perennial spring or fountain.
- Continuing without stop or intermission; perpetual; unceasing; never-failing; everlasting.
- In zoology, growing continually: noting teeth which have the pulp-cavity open, and grow indefinitely from persistent pulps: as, the perennial incisors of a rodent.
- In botany, continuing more than two years: as, a perennial stem or root.
- In entomology, forming colonies which are continued from year to year, as the ants, bees, and termites; also, living more than one year, as an insect.
- n. In botany, a plant which lives and blossoms or fructifies year after year.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. lasting an indefinitely long time; suggesting self-renewal
- n. (botany) a plant lasting for three seasons or more
- adj. recurring again and again
- adj. lasting three seasons or more
Latin perennis (per-, throughout; see per- + annus, year; see at- in Indo-European roots) + -al1.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
1644, from Latin perennis ("lasting through the whole year"), from per- ("through") + annus ("year"). (Wiktionary)