from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Holding tenaciously to a purpose, belief, opinion, or course of action.
- adj. Stubbornly or perversely persistent. See Synonyms at obstinate.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Holding tenaciously to an opinion or purpose.
- adj. Stubbornly resolute or tenacious.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Holding or adhering to any opinion, purpose, or design, with obstinacy; perversely persistent; obstinate
- adj. Resolute; persevering; constant; steady.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Unyielding; persistent; obstinate; especially, resolute, as in holding or adhering to an opinion, purpose, design, course of action, etc.
- Synonyms Unyielding, dogged: the word is rarely used now except in condemnation. See obstinate.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. stubbornly unyielding
From Latin pertināx, pertināc- : per-, per- + tenāx, tenacious (from tenēre, to hold; see ten- in Indo-European roots).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin pertinax; per- ‘very’ + tenax ‘tenacious’. (Wiktionary)