from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of proclaiming or the condition of being proclaimed.
- n. Something proclaimed, especially an official public announcement.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a statement which is proclaimed; a formal public announcement
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of proclaiming; official or general notice; publication.
- n. That which is proclaimed, publicly announced, or officially declared; a published ordinance
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of proclaiming, or making publicly known; publication; official or general notice given to the public.
- n. That which is put forth by way of public notice; an official public announcement or declaration; a published ordinance.
- n. Open declaration; manifestation; putting in evidence, whether favorably or unfavorably.
- n. In law: A writ once issued to warn a defendant in outlawry, or one failing to appear in chancery.
- n. In modern public law, usually, if not always, an executive act in writing and duly authenticated, promulgating a command or prohibition which the executive has discretionary power to issue, or a notification of the executive intent in reference to the execution of the laws.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the formal act of proclaiming; giving public notice
- n. a formal public statement
But let us be honest here, this proclamation is a blatant effort to rally the Republican partys racists base in Virginia.
And the proclamation is already in the air, which was to summon the grateful Republic to a thanksgiving for t he manifold mercy of Almighty God.
Even as it is, and in spite of the fact that for all practical purposes the proclamation is a sham, the words cannot be read without emotion.
Yet perhaps Redford's biggest fear was what he called "proclamation talk" - the tendency for actors in a period piece to "talk like they're reading off a piece of parchment."
Christ, as the pillar to which a proclamation is affixed holds forth the proclamation.
This proclamation is intended to raise public awareness of adult education and family literacy, assist adult learners in need of literacy services, and support increased access to adult education and family literacy programs.
The proclamation from the four Republicans came in advance of a book, entitled "Muslim Mafia: Inside the Secret Underworld that's Conspiring to Islamize America," which includes a forward by Myrick.
Meant to say - the entire proclamation is a mistake, Governor
To omit slavery in the proclamation, is to perpetuate that cause.
Maybe Timothy McVeigh should be remembered as a patriot, with a honorary proclamation from the Texas state legislature.