from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The formal performance of a solemn rite, such as Christian sacrament
- n. The observance of a holiday or feast day, as by solemnities
- n. The act, process of showing appreciation, gratitude and/or remembrance, notably as a social event.
- n. A social gathering for entertainment and fun; a party.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act, process, or time of celebrating.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of celebrating.
- n. The act of performing or observing with appropriate rites or ceremonies: as, the celebration of a marriage; the celebration of mass.
- n. That which is done to celebrate anything; a commemorative, honorific, or distinguishing ceremony, observance, or performance: as, to arrange for or hold a celebration; the ode is a celebration of victory.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a joyful occasion for special festivities to mark some happy event
- n. the public performance of a sacrament or solemn ceremony with all appropriate ritual
- n. any joyous diversion
Sorry, no etymologies found.
According to Pittsburgh's WPIX CHANNEL 11, the city has decided against another title celebration because of the unanticipated budget overruns it would cause, meaning that the Steel City is choosing to defend public services over jubilant Steelers fans.
February 2nd, 2010 at 3: 51 pm alpuz3 says: oh, OSTLL … me thinks your celebration is a bit premature. context, kid … context.
The negative reaction from his very public decision to leave the Cavaliers only worsened after an introductory event in Miami that was handled as if it were a title celebration -- actually it was more of a dynasty celebration.
WADE GOODWYN: Well, I'm here at the Republican celebration party and the celebration is already underway.
"They then did what we refer to as a celebration," said an author of the study, Peggy Mason, a neuroscientist at the University of Chicago.
I have nearly completed my tenure at Colorado State University so a celebration is absolutely in order!
Part of the celebration is the snipping of the vineyards.
Rays win, but AL East title celebration is on hold
I have no idea what the celebration is all about, other than what I assume would be the history of the state.
They actually gathered outside to protest what they call the celebration of an oppressive regime.