from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of preserving; care to preserve; act of keeping from destruction, decay or any ill.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act or process of preserving, or keeping safe; the state of being preserved, or kept from injury, destruction, or decay; security; safety; ; a picture in good preservation.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of preserving, or keeping safe or sound; the act of keeping from injury or decay: as, the preservation of life or of property.
- n. The state of being preserved from injury or decay; escape from destruction or danger: as, a building in good preservation.
- n. A means of security or escape.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the condition of being (well or ill) preserved
- n. a process that saves organic substances from decay
- n. the activity of protecting something from loss or danger
- n. an occurrence of improvement by virtue of preventing loss or injury or other change
Sorry, no etymologies found.
He does it in preservation is of His rich goodness and mercy, so that we may well spend our lives in grateful praise, honoring to Him, and delightful to pious hearts (Ps 147: 1).
I have a few ideas, but promising long term preservation is problematic, even for the Internet Archive.
They are in you and me; they created us, body and mind; and their preservation is the ultimate rationale for our existence.
They are in you and in me; they created us, body and mind; and their preservation is the ultimate rationale for our existence.
After mutual compliments had been exchanged, they proceeded to a long consultation concerning Vivaldi, and it was agreed, that their efforts for what they termed his preservation should no longer be confined to remonstrances.
Most of this work was in what I call the preservation archive community, which has specific requirements for the preservation of information.
Ships in this niche group are higher priority for longterm preservation, meaning Nomadic has a better chance of winning funding, including Heritage Lottery Funding.
The metadata preservation is not what it could be either and this is causing problems with trying to do a very interesting and scientifically useful thing, which is to move our space based data regarding the state of the Arctic and Antarctic from the 70's back into the 60's.
Self-preservation is generally one of the highest priorities for well-paid grasses, and thirty pieces of silver was a lot of money.
That instinct for self-preservation is what will make a containment strategy work.